If we look at how we use sound to heal, we must look at science, maths and the body.
Energy is the life force of everything.
Energy is a naturaly vibrating substance. Atoms vibrate all of the time and vibration is naturally linked to sound.
Our bodies are a collection of cells. These cells are affected by things in the environment, inclusive of physical diet and external stimuli.
The cells themselves are made up of energy, as is everything. This takes us to the study of quantum physics – the study of the very small. Biological science looks at the human body and mind as cells of matter.
When we look at the human body from a biological perspective we are made up of the following systems;
Each of these systems are made of smaller factors and as we go deeper into the body and mind via quantum physics we recognise one fact.
We are made up of energy.
Tissues and organs make up our eyes, lungs, stomach, liver, brain, skin, teeth heart and kidneys.
Cells make up tissues and organs
Molecules make up cells
Atoms make up molecules and quarks which are even smaller.
So all this said EVERYTHING is made form energy no matter what you call it, how small you go and what ever system you want to work with. Its all the same.
“The body is held together by sound. The presence of disease indicates that some of the sounds have gone out of tune” – Deepak Chopra
So without over complicating it we can retune our systems like any instrument.
Energy can not be destroyed it can only be changed. Healing is not about removing ‘disease’ our bodies know how to heal.
The basis of sound healing is that vibration is fundamental to all matter. The atoms within the body vibrate at a specific speed dependant on the area of the body. When this vibration can not occur at the speed that creates harmony this is what we call ‘disease’.
Sound healing as about restoring this healthy vibration to the body.
The natural vibration of the human body. It is that simple.
Sound frequency impacts our sympathetic nervous system, your brain waves synchronise.
The body is so cleaver that when it hears a frequency that it is not in tune with, it will match it.
It is a law – just like gravity – when a vibration is stronger all the other energies in the area will begin to attune to its exact vibration.
We can retune our organs! The Krebs digestive cycle has a particular frequency…. So yup it can be reset with sound. Organs, bones, emotions all have specific frequencies!
Again I will mention Cymatics – a tone played at sand on paper that creates mandalas. A tone directed at the body can change the structure within tissues and molecules.
Energy entrainment makes this possible.
If you place two grandfather clocks together in a room their pendulums will sync. Pretty cool when you think about it.
So hopefully I have explained the reason why this works – from a science perspective.
Understanding this for me was actually one of the more recent discoveries. I had been working with sound for over a year before I began to look deeper into why it worked. And to be honest it wasn’t me that wanted to know. People would ask questions so I decided to do some study. I completed a Diploma of sound therapy. To say I was a little blown away by how complicated this was is an understatement.
I already knew it worked, I didn’t need any proof and really I didn’t care about the how or why. But I am pleased that I now have more of un understanding. It has helped my practise. Knowledge is power after all.
One of the most interesting parts for me though was the interval work which I will briefly go into now for you.
So why does some music sound pleasing to us and some does not? You know when you hear a note that is off? How do you know?
It has to do with intervals. Octaves. Music and maths.
Certain intervals create different effects.
Playing in unison is harmonising. It is pleasing for us to hear. So for example playing a C and a C.
Playing in the seconds is releasing so a C and a D.
Thirds, and sevenths is also releasing. This leaves fourths, fifths, sixths and octave (high C and Low C) as harmonising.
Why is this important? Because I believe it shows that we innately understand.
We can also get into solfeggio frequencies at this stage which is super cool but im not supposed to talk all day, so briefly it has to do with the way our bodies tune.
Often in my session I will play frequencies to a client, its easy to tell which ones they like, I then write those down for them and encourage them to listen to some binaural meditations that have those frequencies in them, like writing a script out. Rather than medication these are the frequencies I prescribe for you this week, to help keep you in tune.
I also want to talk a little about chakras. Now I know for some this really moves away from the logical part but trust me, this makes just as much sense as atoms and cells.
When we are healing We need to be aware of the 4 levels of reality;
Literal – matter. Body – physical, chemical, cellular
Symbolic – mind – words
Mythic – soul – images
Accentual – spirit – energy fundamental -
Chakras are the organs of the luminous body. They metabolise energy. They feed and sustain us.
In Sanskrit chakra means wheel. Our chakras are a spinning energy centre. There are 7 main chakras within the body.
Each linked to a specific note, colour, mantra, emotions and organs and glands within the body.
Root – base – adrenals – colon issues, lower back pain, varicose veins, emotional issues around money and security.
- Root vegetables
- Red foods
- The Basics: Protein powders,
insoluble fibers, vitamins and minerals
- Adrenal support
- Anti-inflammatory support
- Immune health
- Joint health
Sacral – gonads – reproductive area – infertility, hip pain, sexual disfunction, emotional imbalances, creative blocks
- Fats and oils
- Nuts and seeds
- Fish and seafood
- Tropical fruits
- Orange foods
- The Basics: Oils, vitamins and minerals
- Urinary support
- Hormone support
- Gut support
Solar plexus – pancreas – digestive system – gas, bloating, liver issues, stomach ulcers, eating disorders, lack of confidence, procrastination
- Whole grains
- Starchy vegetables
- Yellow foods
- The Basics: Soluble fiber, vitamins and minerals
- Blood sugar support
- Digestive support
- Liver support
- Metabolism support
Heart – thymus – lungs – heart and lung problems, asthma, allergies, fear of intimacy
- Cruciferous vegetables
- Leafy greens
- Fruits and legumes
- Phytochemicals, phytosterols, phytoestrogens
- The Basics: Specific amino acids and proteins
- Vitamins and minerals
- Blood lipid support
- Circulation support
- Coenzyme Q10
- Green food powders
Throat – thyroid – ear – thyroid disease, frequent sore throat, difficulty expressing feelings
- Sea plants
- Liquid foods: Soups, sauces, dressings, marinades
- Ethnic foods
- High-water foods
- The Basics: Vitamins and minerals
- Thyroid and throat support
- Allergy and sinus support
- Jaw support
- Sensory support
Third eye – pituitary – eyes – depression, poor eyesight, hormonal imbalances, poor intuition
- Flavonoid-containing foods
- Blue-purple foods
- Amino acids for neurotransmitters
- Fatty acids
- Vitamins and minerals
- Neurotransmitter support
- Sleep support
- Eye/Vision support
- Cognition support
Crown – pineal – central nervous system – issues with sleep/wake cycle, feeling disconnected from body or others, difficulty meditating, spiritual discomfort.
- All things detoxifying and cleansing
- White foods
- The Basics: Macronutrients, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals
- Neurological support
- Support for healthy aging
Finally we are starting to take notice of the ancient concepts of the link between emotions and organs. It has been recognized and accepted as fact by many cultures and practices for centuries.
Kidneys are linked to fear, liver and digestion – ager, anxiety – lungs, overthinking – spleen and so on. Our emotions can have a dramatic effect on our health.
Trapped emotions or unprocessed emotions block chakras and our flow, thus slowing our frequency and setting us out of tune.
It is all linked, it all comes back to sound and energy no matter how we look at it.
Sound can enter our bodies several ways. It can penetrate our skin and bones just as easily as it can enter into our ears. However, when sound passes through our skin and bones, it is transmitted to the center of our brain, where our subconscious memory is stored. Things we don’t want to face are pushed into our subconscious mind.
Music can loosen old hidden emotions, helping us unload stored emotional baggage.
There are 4 key ways that sound therapy works:
- Sympathetic resonance – vibration matches vibration. The body can hear when it is out of tune so it auto corrects itself.
- Brain wave entrainment – this is as simple as sychronisation. Clock will sync with each other when left in a room together. An example of this can be seen when the brain is presented with a sound instrument such as a drum which emits a rhythmic sound that stimulates the brain. This rhythmic beat is reproduced in the brain in the form of electrical impulses. When the drum beat increases or decreases in speed, but stays consistent the brain responds and synchronises its own electrical cycles to the same rhythm of the drum. If the brain is presented with a repeating stimulus, it responds by synchronising these electric cycles to the same rhythm. This is commonly called Frequency Following Response or ‘FFR’ for short. The stimulus itself can be nearly anything; for example a physical vibration, a flash of light or a pulse of sound.
- Frequency following response Frequency Following Response (FFR) is used in sound therapy to stimulate special brainwave frequencies that are associated with positive well-being. As brainwaves are intimately linked to mental states of consciousness, by creating sounds associated with brainwaves that lead to peace, calm and healing, we bring about positive change. An example of this can be found when working with the 4-8 hertz theta brainwave frequency. Theta is associated with both sleep and deep meditative states. Therefore working with a 4 – 8 Hz sound pattern is extremely helpful in manifesting the sleep/meditative state and can be used for example with someone suffering from insomnia, stress, tension and general anxiety.
- Balancing left / right brain hemispheres Part of the process of the electrical reactions within the structures of the brain comes from the synchronisation of the two hemispheres of the brain: the left and right, which are associated with masculine and feminine attributes. The left-brain is linked to the masculine principle of reason, scientific proof and emotional objectivity. The right-brain is linked with the feminine principle of creativity, intuition and empathy.
Working with Sound is becoming more mainstream. We know about ultra sound and we have also heard of kidney stones being broken up with sound.
We are also aware of brain waves and that sound plays a huge role in stimulating our brains preparing us for altered states of consciousness.
According to an article I found written by Dirk Gillabel the healing bowls cover all bases of our brain waves.
“Brain waves are categorized into four groups: Alpha, Beta, Delta and Theta.
Alpha waves (7 to 12 Hz) arise when the eyes are closed and the mind is in a relaxed state. In the deeper states associated with Alpha waves (5 to 7 Hertz) there is a loss of awareness of the environment as one drifts in a profound state of relaxation.
Beta waves (13-30 Hertz) reflect a state of alertness, attention, arousal and anxiety. High Beta waves cause high energy levels and even hypertension.
Theta waves (4-7 Hertz) are responsible for a state of drowsiness and dreaming. It is a twilight state which we normally only experience as we wake up or fall asleep.
Delta waves (0-4Hertz) are related to the deepest, most relaxed state of sleep.
The sounds of the singing bowls are likewise rhythmic, and it is easy to hear waves of low, medium and high frequency in each bowl. Sound waves that correspond to the four kinds of brain waves can be heard when playing a bowl. Singing bowls seem to have a well balanced amount of each of the four kinds of waves; listening to the bowls is like listening to brain waves.”
Every sound or every energy in your proximity changes you. That is science. Waves interact they change each other, when we listen it changes us physically, emotionally and spiritually.
So with all that said I hope you are as excited as I am about the power of healing with sound.
Article by Jess Brown