My clients always dread this time of year thinking this will be either a massive test of will or a major stumbling block on their health journey. But when they realize that there is a strategy and work around to any potential situation they feel empowered knowing they have options. Here are my top 5 tips for the holiday season.
- There's a swap for everything- pre-paring holiday feasts at home is a great opportunity to create healthy non reactive versions of your traditional comfort foods. You can literally google any gluten free, dairy free or Paleo meal version of a holiday recipe.
- Start your day with a nourishing well balanced breakfast of healthy fats, protein and plant based carbohydrates for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels. My favorite go to breakfast is smoked salmon, avocado, grilled mushrooms, steamed spinach. Yum!
- Stay hydrated! Festive alcoholic drinks are all dehydrating to the body (diuretics). Slowly sip water throughout the day and for every cup of diuretic include 1.5 c of water to replenish hydration.
- Eat Mindfully - digestion only occurs in a "rest & digest" state - remember to give thanks for your meals, moments with family and friends and don't rush ..cherish your experience
- Rome wasn't built in a day - of course not every day will go to plan. Use these times to learn from your body. How did you feel the next day? Average, fatigued, bloated, anxious? This wasn't a fall off the dietary journey it was a optimal time of experiment and self realization!